The Heart of Christ in the Heart of Houston
Sacred Heart Parish was established on November 22, 1896 to serve the Irish immigrants living in the fast growing suburbs of Southwest Houston. (Although now it may be hard to think of the corner of Fannin and Pierce streets as suburbs, the location was considered away from downtown when the parish was formed.) The construction of the current church structure was begun in 1911 and completed in 1917 at a cost of slightly less than one hundred thousand dollars.
Sacred Heart Parish was designated as the Co-Cathedral in 1959 when Houston was named Co-See to the oldest diocese in Texas. The Diocese of Galveston was formed in 1847 and St. Mary’s Cathedral was the mother Church for the diocese which at the time comprised the entire state of Texas. With the tremendous growth of Houston, Pope Pius XII re-designated the Diocese of Galveston as the Diocese of Galveston-Houston. Today, there are fifteen dioceses in Texas.